Experience and Skills:
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual
must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
• Completion of medical records or medical secretarial program, preferred.
• Experience in completing forms with detail.
• Sensitivity to the needs and situations of a multi-cultural
population from a variety of income levels.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
• High school diploma or equivalent
• One year or more experience as a file or records clerk in a
health care setting, preferred
Other Desired Skills:
• An energetic and creative individual with high standards and
an appropriate professional image.
• Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
• Versatility, flexibility and willingness to work within an
ambiguous, fast-paced environment.
• Demonstrated resourcefulness in providing solutions and
• Effective interpersonal skills to work effectively with all
levels within the health center.
Licenses and Certifications:
• Must have current BLS certification
• Candidate must be able to successfully meet PHC’s
credentialing and privileging requirements
Language Skills: Ability to communicate effectively in English
and Spanish with children and adults in person, on the telephone, and
in writing. Ability to effectively present information and
respond to questions and requests from patients, co-workers and
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide
in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and
Reasoning Ability: Ability to recognize problems, collect data,
and establish facts.
Computer Skills: Computer literate and proficient in MS Office
(Word, Excel and Outlook), electronic medical records and web
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Movement within health center complex environment repeatedly
throughout the day.
• Ability to write by hand, use phone, use computer keyboard and
mouse extensively to perform general office functions.
• Manual and finger dexterity and wrist-finger speed sufficient
to perform repetitive actions for extended periods of time.
• Ability to effectively communicate by hearing continuously and
speech in a manner which can be understood by a diverse
• Ability to give and follow verbal and written instructions
with attention to detail and accuracy.
• Must have visual acuity near and far (20 inches to 20 feet),
depth perception, field of vision, ability to focus on an object,
ability to identify and distinguish colors.
• Ability to sit or stand for minimum period of one (1) hour.
• Ability to frequently walk, bend, squat, stoop, kneel, twist,
crouch, and climb with the use of a step stool.
• Ability to grasp, hold and pick up and reach with hands and arms.
• Ability to frequently lift and or move up to fifteen (15) pounds.
• Ability to occasionally lift and carry up to thirty-five (35)
pounds (periodic lifting of supplies or equipment).
• Ability to coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described
here are representative of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly exposed to Health Center areas and general office environment.
The work environment is a clean, well-lit, well-ventilated, and
temperature controlled environment. The noise level in the work
environment is usually moderate. The hours of duty are lengthy
Acknowledgment: This job description in no way states or implies
that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee
incumbent in this position. The Employee may be required to
follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other
job-related duties requested. This document does not create an
employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at-will"