Experience and Skills:
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an
individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill, and/or ability required.
**New employees are mandated to either provide proof of their COVID
vaccination or to receive the vaccine, either through PHC or their own
provider, with the first dose of a series required before the first
day of employment. Exception to this mandate will be considered for
those with a medical or religious exemption.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in an ambulatory care setting preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working with Department of
Health, Occupational Health, or doing vaccine administration in a
- Satisfactory completion of an accredited medical assistant program
in California, or documented equivalent training in a physician’s
office (at minimum, training must conform to the state’s program of
California Medical Assistant Regulations BPC 1366.1-1366.4)
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
- Experience and demonstration of strong customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Sensitivity to the needs and situations of multi-cultural workforce
- Excellent attention to detail
- Demonstrated clinical skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
Licenses and Certifications:
- Completed Medical Assistant Certificate from an accredited
organization (Medical Assistant Program/School) is required
- State MA Certification preferred, but not required. If certified,
must be current and maintain competency
- Injection certifications and or competency
- Must have current BLS certification
- Candidate must be able to successfully meet PHC’s credentialing
and privileging requirements
Language Skills: Bilingual in English and Spanish,
both written and verbal preferred.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract,
multiply, divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common
fractions and decimals.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to recognize problems,
collect data and establish facts.
Computer Skills: Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel
and Outlook), electronic medical records and use of a web browser.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here
are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions.
- Movement within health center complex environment repeatedly
throughout the day
- Ability to write by hand, use phone, use computer keyboard and
mouse extensively to perform general office functions
- Manual wrist and finger dexterity and wrist-finger speed
sufficient to perform repetitive actions for extended periods of time
- Ability to effectively communicate by hearing continuously and
speech in a manner which can be understood by a diverse population
- Ability to give and follow verbal and written instructions with
attention to detail and accuracy
- Must have visual acuity near and far (20 inches to 20 feet), depth
perception, field of vision, ability to focus on an object, ability
to identify and distinguish colors
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time (minimum
periods of one (1) hour at a time)
- Ability to frequently walk, bend, squat, stoop, kneel, twist,
crouch, and climb with the use of a step stool
- Ability to grasp, hold and pick up and reach with hands and arms
- Ability to frequently lift and or move up to fifteen (15) pounds
- Ability to occasionally lift and carry up to twenty-five (25)
pounds (periodic lifting of supplies or equipment
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to travel to and from other health center sites and
Work Environment: The work environment
characteristics described here are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
exposed to Health Center areas and general office environment. The
work environment is a clean, well-lit, well-ventilated, and
temperature-controlled environment. The noise level in the work
environment is usually moderate. The hours of duty are lengthy and irregular.