The Petaluma Health Center’s mission is to provide high quality health care, with access for all, in Southern Sonoma County. The Center accomplishes this mission through collaborative, innovative programs, services and referral resources that meet the economic needs of the entire community.
The Petaluma Health Center is a nine-time award winner in the North Bay Business Journal’s Best Places to Work for 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2009 and we were named as one of '2015 Healthiest Companies in the North Bay' by the North Bay Business Journal.
We are a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that provides primary medical care and mental health services to residents of Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Cotati, Penngrove and surrounding areas. We are organized as a private, non-profit corporation and governed by a consumer and community led Board of Directors.
For more information about us, please visit us at www.phealthcenter.org.
Position Title: Wellness Assistant
Summary: Entry-level position responsible for providing excellent patient care, customer service, medical chart preparation and review and/or by obtaining insurance prior authorization to access specialty services within expected timeframe for Petaluma Health Center. This position is an apprenticeship to acquire key proficiencies associated with a Chiropractor Assistant certificate including rooming of patients, providing patient education, follow-up care instructions, and assisting with clinical services under the supervision of Wellness providers.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Rooms patients for Wellness services and collects and documents patient history, reason for visit and current state of health using electronic medical records (EMR)
- Prepares and follows infection control of, equipment and supplies in a timely manner to ensure optimum flow
- Provides patient education and follow-up care instructions
- Performs patient care related tasks as assigned by providers and supervisors
- Works closely with providers to provide high quality care to each patient by addressing their health needs and concern
- Verification of patient insurance eligibility
- Maintains updated authorizations information in patient chart through a tracking mechanism
- Provides information to patients about Wellness services and prior authorization process
- Assist with requests for medical records within one week
- Prepare, fax and / or mail Health Information Release requests within five days
- Initiate new prior authorizations for Wellness services, address actions when authorization approvals are approved and follow-up on pending authorizations
- Assist providers and staff on urgent requests
- Complete telephone encounters received from providers, staff and patients daily
- Review providers’ schedules to ensure accuracy and completion of prior authorization in advance of patient appointments
- Project appointments for shared medical visits and promote groups though patient outreach
- Builds relationships with patients, staff and providers to ensure excellent customer service
- Communicates clearly with providers, other staff and patients to promote optimum clinic flow
- Good verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively at all levels
- Assist with phone messages and faxed requests as needed daily, makes and/or answers phone calls regarding any referral and insurance related questions
- Assist patients in the appeals process for denial of services through the proper appeals process with their insurance companies
- Maintain extensive resource directory for PHC staff and patients for access of Wellness services including maintaining and updating Wellness calendar and guides
Insurance Authorization Tracking:
- Tracks the completion of the referral and prior authorization process within expected timeframe
- Track referrals by using structured data to maintain accurate information. Tracks claims to assure proper billing of processed authorizations
- Perform other duties as assigned by Wellness Director or Wellness Team Manager