Experience and Skills:
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Satisfactory completion of an accredited medical assistant program in California, or documented equivalent training in a physician’s office (at minimum, training must conform to the state’s program of California Medical Assistant Regulations BPC 1366.4)
- Minimum of three years Medical Assistant or related experience
- Competency in electronic medical record data entry
- Demonstrates sensitivity to the needs and situations of a multi-cultural population from a variety of income levels
- Demonstrates expertise in effectively managing stress, multitasking and communication with patients, providers, staff and others
- Knowledge of and experience in providing patient education on a multitude of subject matters
- Knowledge of CLIA
- Ability to manage provider follow up requests
- Knowledge of local laboratory policies on health insurance coverage and documentation
- Demonstrates leadership skills, including ability to instruct, train, guide, coach and direct Medical Assistants and Medical Records Clerks
Licenses and Certifications:
- Current Medical Assistant Certification from an accredited organization is required
- State MA Certification required. If certified, must be current and maintain competency
- Injection certifications and/or competency
- Must have current BLS certification
- Candidate must be able to successfully meet PHC’s credentialing and privileging requirements
Language Skills: Ability to communicate in English and Spanish with children and adults in person, on the telephone and in writing. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions and requests from patients, coworkers and others as necessary. Ability to effectively communicate direction, instruction and guidance to Medical Assistants, Referral Coordinators and Medical Records Clerks.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to recognize problems, collect data and establish facts.
Computer Skills: High level of computer literacy and proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel and Outlook), electronic medical records and web applications.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Movement within health center complex environment repeatedly throughout the day
- Ability to write by hand, use phone, use computer keyboard and mouse extensively to perform general office functions
- Manual wrist and finger dexterity and wrist-finger speed sufficient to perform repetitive actions for extended periods of time
- Ability to effectively communicate by hearing continuously and speech in a manner which can be understood by a diverse population
- Ability to give and follow verbal and written instructions with attention to detail and accuracy
- Must have visual acuity near and far (20 inches to 20 feet), depth perception, field of vision, ability to focus on an object, ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time (minimum periods of one (1) hour at a time)
- Ability to frequently walk, bend, squat, stoop, kneel, twist, crouch, and climb with the use of a step stool
- Ability to grasp, hold and pick up and reach with hands and arms
- Ability to frequently lift and or move up to fifteen (15) pounds
- Ability to occasionally lift and carry up to thirty-five (35) pounds (periodic lifting of supplies or equipment)
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to travel to and from other health center sites and community locations
Petaluma Health Center is an equal opportunity employer.
Please apply directly through our career page at www.phealthcenter.org.