The Petaluma Health Center’s mission is to provide high quality health care, with access for all, in Southern Sonoma County. The Center accomplishes this mission through collaborative, innovative programs, services and referral resources that meet the economic needs of the entire community.
The Petaluma Health Center is an eight-time award winner in the North Bay Business Journal’s Best Places to Work for 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2009 and we were named as one of '2015 Healthiest Companies in the North Bay' by the North Bay Business Journal.
We are a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that provides primary medical care and mental health services to residents of Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Cotati, Penngrove and surrounding areas. We are organized as a private, non-profit corporation and governed by a consumer and community led Board of Directors.
For more information about us, please visit us at www.phealthcenter.org.
Position Title: Dental Patient Care Coordinator I
Summary: The Dental Patient Care Coordinator I is the initial resource person for patients entering the Petaluma Health Center Dental Clinic, and sets the tone for welcoming patients. Responsible for managing all aspects of the practice’s schedule. Responsible for managing a variety of other duties related to prospective and existing patients, including coordinating all elements before, during, and following the patient appointment.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Responsible for greeting, timely patient registration, check in and check out procedures
- Introduce new patients to the practice by going over health history, explaining the doctor’s examination, and describing any other features about the practice that should be highlighted
- Conducts treatment consultations with all new patients and with existing patients when new treatment plans are created
- Assists patients with transportation needs
- Appropriately refers patients to Outreach for program eligibility determination
- Educates patients about our sliding scale program and collect application information
- Performs a variety of miscellaneous clerical tasks as time permits
- Follows established practice phone scripts
- Answers phone with a pleasant voice in a timely manner and routes and addresses calls appropriately
- Schedules appointments according to policy and scheduling templates. Maintains the practice schedule on a daily basis
- Works with their supervisor to develop policies for patients surrounding the schedule (i.e. cancellations, confirmations, patients who arrive late, emergency appointments)
- Responsible of the practice’s new patient appointment system and the practice’s emergency appointment system
- Actively manages no shows; Follows-up with all cancelled or failed patient appointments to reschedule
- Reviews the schedule each day with appropriate team members
- Responsible of the practice’s confirmation system to ensure patients are confirmed for appointments
- Responsible of the practice’s recall system, to ensure patients are scheduled for continuing care appointments
- Schedules appointments for referrals
- Prepares for all patient appointments by checking eligibility, collecting dental benefit information, sending all necessary paperwork
- Confirms all patient appointments
- Ensures that patient records are accurate and complete, and that patient confidentiality is strictly maintained in accordance with Petaluma Health Center’s confidentiality policies and procedures
- Understands the practice’s policy on working with dental benefit plans and is prepared to educate patients on their dental benefits. Coordinates this effort with their supervisor
- Proficient with the phone system and the call flow; uses it efficiently and effectively
- Informs clinical staff and the doctor(s) of changes to the schedule each day and throughout the work-day
- Communicates with the supervisor to determine patients on the daily schedule with outstanding balances or who are in need of a financial consultation or treatment consultation
Office Dental Systems
- Accurately captures Patient demographic, Insurance and structured data into Dentrix at each patient encounter. Closely follows the Patient Check-In and Check-Out Policies
- Timely follows up on eCW telephone encounters routed by supervisor. Documents outcomes.
- Checks insurance eligibility and co-pays, etc
- Tracks lab cases regularly
- Accepts payments, issues receipts, ensures safe keeping of all cash, checks and payments received.
- Posts charges, payments, and adjustments. Runs daily deposit report and reconciles cash
- Monitors and tracks all unaccepted treatment plans and follows-up with patients in a timely manner
- Keeps the dental record up to date; works on CC list, ASAP list, Active/Inactive list, Referrals list, Unscheduled treatment plans as delegated
- Uses the Office Journal and the Document Center to store and organize important patient and visit information
- Familiar with access of PHC programs including Medi-Cal and CHDP. Provides patients with outside resources if needed
- Makes sure informed consent is attached to all treatment planned procedures as well as all pertinent office policies
- Creates and maintains computerized patient records
- Performs other duties as assigned by their supervisor