The Petaluma Health Center’s mission is to provide high quality health care, with access for all, in Southern Sonoma County. The Center accomplishes this mission through collaborative, innovative programs, services and referral resources that meet the economic needs of the entire community.
As a Family Medicine Physician/OB, you’ll get the chance to work in a team based environment that is integrated with behavioral health. You’ll have your own patient panel targeting between 18 and 22 patients a day, fully supported by Certified Medical Assistants, Referral Specialists and RN’s. Our providers practice across the full spectrum of family medicine.
You will get the chance to mentor/teach medical students who rotate through the clinic and participate in The Center for Education in Community Medicine and our NP/PA Residency Program.
Petaluma Health Center has two large clinics - one located in Petaluma and another located in Rohnert Park. Our scope of services include: Family Medicine, Maternity, Behavioral & Mental Health, Wellness, Optometry, Dental and Specialty Services.
We are a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that provides primary medical care and mental health services to residents of Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Cotati, Penngrove and surrounding areas. We are organized as a private, non-profit corporation and governed by a consumer and community led Board of Directors.
For more information about us, please visit us at www.phealthcenter.org.
Petaluma Health Center is located in Petaluma, CA, about one hour north of San Francisco. We have two clinics, one located in Petaluma and another in the city of Rohnert Park. We offer our providers the opportunity to practice a full scope or partial scope of family medicine and primary care. We offer flexible schedules, loan repayment, a full suite of benefits and competitive salaries.
Position Title: Family Medicine Physician (MD/DO) with Obstetrics
The Family Medicine Physician/OB will provide quality primary medical care, quality prenatal, intrapartum, and post-partum medical care as well as newborn and pediatric care in a compassionate and caring environment. Work as an integral part of the Medical Team staff by participating in all strategic initiatives. Perform other duties as assigned, including but not limited to after-hours call, weekend clinics, supervision of PA/NP staff, and assignment to outside locations within Petaluma Health Center’s federal scope such as school based clinics and skilled nursing facilities.
Family Medicine Areas of Responsibility:
- Take appropriate history, perform physical examination of patients, order pertinent diagnostics and implement appropriate therapy in the outpatient setting according to standard medical practice and in accordance with AAFP guidelines
- Provide admission, work-up, diagnosis, and provision of non-surgical treatment for patients admitted to skilled nursing facilities and/or the hospital setting if qualified in accordance with clinical training and maintenance of skilled nursing and/or hospital based privileges
- Obtain appropriate consults when problems presented are outside scope of practice or when unfamiliar with a particular aspect of the patient’s care
- Communicate effectively with the patient throughout the physician patient relationship, provide appropriate patient education, and demonstrate respect for the culturally determined needs of patients
- Display consistent and determined intent to be competent, meeting or exceeding the community standard of care
- Demonstrate competent knowledge in delivering health care to patients through peer review as established through the medical staff bylaws, recommendations of each licensing Board, and clinic Quality improvement Program. Participates in the peer Contribution, considering carefully the opinions of colleagues
- Cooperate with the rest of the medical staff in assuring after hours and Saturday and evening hour’s coverage for the clinic patients
- Supervise PA’s and FNP’s according to the standardized procedures agreed upon which defines their scope of practice while complying with all federal and state regulations and codes
- Work at maximum potential to meet productivity requirements in order to improve patient access and fiscal viability while maintaining quality medical care
- Meet all time commitments by arriving on time to the clinic and working entire shift or more as needed
- Responsible for maintaining credentials by keeping all required licenses current, including but not limited to California Medical License, DEA licenses, CME hours, CPR Certifications and any other required licenses. It is the responsibility of the physician to give Human Resources current credentials before old credentials expire
- Willingly performs other duties within the scope of practice as assigned
- Provide hospital care and management of labor and delivery for antepartum, intra-partum, and post-partum conditions in accordance with ACOG and hospital guidelines
- Utilize basic ultrasound skills to determine fetal presentation, fetal number, and fetal viability
- Provide hospital care and management of term newborns and pediatric patients in accordance with AAP, sub-board of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine and hospital guidelines
- Maintain active hospital privileges in good standing and maintain all certifications, continuing medical education hours, and Obstetric and Pediatric committee attendance and activity
- Supervise CNM’s according to the standardized procedures agreed upon which defines their scope of practice while complying with all federal and state regulations and codes