The Petaluma Health Center’s mission is to provide high quality health care, with access for all, in Southern Sonoma County. The Center accomplishes this mission through collaborative, innovative programs, services and referral resources that meet the economic needs of the entire community.
The Petaluma Health Center is an eight-time award winner in the North Bay Business Journal’s Best Places to Work for 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2009 and we were named as one of '2015 Healthiest Companies in the North Bay' by the North Bay Business Journal.
We are a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that provides primary medical care and mental health services to residents of Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Cotati, Penngrove and surrounding areas. We are organized as a private, non-profit corporation and governed by a consumer and community led Board of Directors.
For more information about us, please visit us at www.phealthcenter.org.
Position Title: Medical Assistant 2
Summary: The Medical Assistant II ensures optimum patient care through the efficient rooming of patients, exhibiting solid communication with patients and other staff, performing medical procedures, providing patient education, follow-up care instructions, completing daily documentation, and training other staff.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Independently functions, under supervision, in two or more MA roles on the team including the Flow Coordinator, the support role for the Flow Coordinator and MA trainer
- Rooms patients, obtains and documents vital signs including height, weight, BMI, temperature, respirations and blood pressure
- Collects and documents patient history and current state of health
- Prepares treatment rooms, equipment and supplies in a timely manner to ensure optimum flow
- Provides patient education and follow-up care instructions
- Performs panel management and non-visit tasks as assigned by provider or nurse
- Able to provide advanced Medical Assistant services to obstetric patients
- Able to function as a Medical Assistant at the School Base Health Centers and Mary Isaak Center which includes:
- Front and Back Office duties and responsibilities including inventory, stocking supplies, and checking on all equipment
- Outreach to community regarding PHC’s services offered
- Builds relationships with patients, staff and providers to ensure excellent customer service
- Communicates clearly with providers, other staff and patients to promote optimum clinic flow
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively at all levels
- Recommends improvement in processes and practices through the proper channels
- Takes accurate messages and responds appropriately in a timely manner
- Supports and functions as the Flow Coordinator to ensure optimum patient flow
- Communicates with Team Manager on the status of the team and any urgent issues that arise
- Follows PHC policies and procedures in accordance with the Medical Assistant II position
- Performs routine screening procedures, such as hearing and vision tests and documents findings
- Performs various medical assistant procedures (including but not limited to): finger sticks for hemoglobin checks; ear washes; nebulizer treatments; urine dipsticks; specimen collection for throat and/or urine cultures; wound cleaning, PPD placement, INR, glucose, HCG, and Hemoglobin A1C
- Administers immunizations and documents in ECW & CAIR
- Ensures that all logs, forms, records and charts are complete, thorough and accurate
- Documents freezer and refrigerator temperature and takes appropriate action to maintain correct temperatures
- Practices standard safety precautions, to ensure safety to self, other staff, and patients including handling of contained waste and sharps, and cleaning the Ultrasound machine and EKG Machine
- Trains staff on patient care procedures and clinical practice updates