The Petaluma Health Center’s mission is to provide high quality health care, with access for all, in Southern Sonoma County. The Center accomplishes this mission through collaborative, innovative programs, services and referral resources that meet the economic needs of the entire community.
The Petaluma Health Center is an eight-time award winner in the North Bay Business Journal’s Best Places to Work for 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2009 and we were named as one of '2015 Healthiest Companies in the North Bay' by the North Bay Business Journal.
We are a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that provides primary medical care and mental health services to residents of Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Cotati, Penngrove and surrounding areas. We are organized as a private, non-profit corporation and governed by a consumer and community led Board of Directors.
For more information about us, please visit us at www.phealthcenter.org.
Position Title: Dental Assistant
Summary: The Dental Assistant performs a variety of dental assisting duties while promoting a safe and clean environment for quality dental care. These duties include but are not limited to assisting the doctor, and teaching patients how to care for their teeth. Communicates effectively with the patient; maintains equipment and inventory, cleans, sterilizes and packages instruments and follows standard precautions, OSHA requirements and dental board auxiliaries’ regulations. The Dental Assistant works on behalf of the patient and the dentist helping to assure a high level of professional excellence in oral health care delivery.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Exposes and processes dental radiographs (x-rays)
- Assists the dentist during a variety of examinations and treatment procedures: instrument transfer, dental procedure isolation techniques and preparation of dental materials
- Prepares treatment rooms, instruments and cassettes for procedures
- Greets and prepares patients for treatment
- Records medical and dental history and vital signs of patients
- Records visit information in the electronic patient record (Dentrix)
- Pours and trims study casts
- Serves as an infection control officer, follows infection control protocols and sterilizes and disinfects instruments and equipment
- Helps patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatment
- Provides patients with instructions for oral care following surgery or other dental treatment procedures
- Teaches patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health; (e.g. tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling)
- Uses Motivational interviewing and Caries risk assessment tools
- Provides patient education, nutritional counseling and helps patient set oral health goals
- Assists patients with referrals and follow up appointments
- Presents treatment plans to patients
- Prepares and maintains dental instruments, supplies and equipment
- Coordinates lab cases with different labs; assures timely pickup and delivery of cases. Keeps the lab area clean and organized. Tracks cases and communicates scheduling needs to the Patient care coordinator.
- Involved with prevention and management of dental medical emergencies
- Participates in the achievement of patient satisfaction and office production goals by working efficiently and providing a high level of patient service.
- Proficient with dental software programs including but not limited to Dentrix Enterprise, Guru, Dexis, and Iris Intraoral camera
- Performs tasks that require the use of a personal computer
- Performs and keeps office records related to Sterilization and Equipment maintenance (daily, monthly, quarterly and yearly); Communicates and coordinates equipment repairs.
- Participates actively in staff meetings
- Conducts work in compliance with office policies and procedures, safety, OSHA, MSDS guidelines and the Dental Board of CA and COMDA
- Assists with other duties as directed