Experience and Skills:
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Satisfactory completion of an accredited medical assistant program in California, or documented equivalent training in a physician’s office (at minimum, training must conform to the state’s program of California Medical Assistant Regulations BPC 1366.1-1366.4)
- Entry level position up to one year of experience preferred
- Competency in electronic medical records data entry
- Sensitive to the needs and situations of multi-cultural populations from a variety of income levels
- Meets and is capable of exceeding standards of job description
- Contributes to the improvement of the teams and organization
- An energetic and creative individual with high standards and an appropriate professional image
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Versatility, flexibility and willingness to work within an ambiguous, fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in providing solutions and setting priorities
- Effective interpersonal skills to work effectively with all levels within the health center
Licenses and Certifications:
- Completed Medical Assistant Certificate from an accredited organization (Medical Assistant Program/School) is required
- State MA Certification preferred, but not required. If certified, must be current and maintain competency
- Injection certifications and or competency
- Must have current BLS certification
- Candidate must be able to successfully meet PHC’s credentialing and privileging requirements
Language Skills: Ability to communicate effectively in English and Spanish with children and adults in person, on the telephone, and in writing. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions and request from patients, co-workers, and others as necessary.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to recognize problems, collect data and establish facts.
Computer Skills: Computer literate and proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel and Outlook), electronic medical records and use of a web browser.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Movement within health center complex environment repeatedly throughout the day
- Ability to write by hand, use phone, use computer keyboard and mouse extensively to perform general office functions
- Manual wrist and finger dexterity and wrist-finger speed sufficient to perform repetitive actions for extended periods of time
- Ability to effectively communicate by hearing continuously and speech in a manner which can be understood by a diverse population
- Ability to give and follow verbal and written instructions with attention to detail and accuracy
- Must have visual acuity near and far (20 inches to 20 feet), depth perception, field of vision, ability to focus on an object, ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time (minimum periods of one (1) hour at a time)
- Ability to frequently walk, bend, squat, stoop, kneel, twist, crouch, and climb with the use of a step stool
- Ability to grasp, hold and pick up and reach with hands and arms
- Ability to frequently lift and or move up to fifteen (15) pounds
- Ability to occasionally lift and carry up to thirty-five (35) pounds (periodic lifting of supplies or equipment)
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to travel to and from other health center sites and community locations
For more information about us, please visit us at www.phealthcenter.org
Petaluma Health Center is an equal opportunity employer.