The Petaluma Health Center’s mission is to provide high quality health care, with access for all, in Southern Sonoma County. The Center accomplishes this mission through collaborative, innovative programs, services and referral resources that meet the economic needs of the entire community.
The Petaluma Health Center is an eight-time award winner in the North Bay Business Journal’s Best Places to Work for 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2009 and we were named as one of '2015 Healthiest Companies in the North Bay' by the North Bay Business Journal.
We are a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that provides primary medical care and mental health services to residents of Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Cotati, Penngrove and surrounding areas. We are organized as a private, non-profit corporation and governed by a consumer and community led Board of Directors.
For more information about us, please visit us at www.phealthcenter.org.
Position Title: Dental Administrative Assistant
Under general supervision and with a focus on continuous improvement and customer service, the executive assistant provides executive support to the Chief Dental Officer and the dental provider group. The Administrative Assistant acts as liaison between the Chief Dental Officer and internal/outside contacts and provides a wide range of administrative support, including organizing, communicating and coordinating information, scheduling appointments and travel, expense report submissions, and meeting and conference logistics support. Using independent judgment, problem-solving skills, and initiative, the AA determines approach or action to take in non-routine situations. Candidate must demonstrate initiative to follow up on relevant day-to-day activities while keeping supervisor informed of project status and next steps. Must be able to interpret and adapt departmental guidelines, including policies and procedures.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Prepares and organizes files, assembles relevant data, compiles statistics or information as directed and anticipated for supervisor review and action
- Schedules, organizes and participates in various in person meetings on or off site, and conference calls
- Maintains supervisor calendars and agendas. Communicates with other attendees and coordinates with the clinical schedule. Reserves rooms.
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the CDO and internal departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with other staff.
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the CDO, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determines appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
- Successfully completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting documents, personal correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the CDO's ability to effectively lead the department
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Prepares correspondence and other documents, such as agendas, meeting minutes, reports, materials for presentations, proposals, manuscripts, curriculum materials, for approval by supervisor and distribution.
- On own initiative and based on knowledge of department, composes documents about administrative and general office procedures and policies.
- Utilizes computer databases and computer applications, such as word processing, spreadsheets and desktop publishing. Responsible for completeness, accuracy and format of documents.
- Prepares reports, summaries or replies to inquiries by recording, researching, and selecting relevant information from a variety of sources, such as reports, documents, other offices, computerized data bases, etc., and organizing and presenting information in usable and professional format, including tables, graphs, and charts.
- Provides supervisor with reminders of upcoming events and project-related deadlines. Maintains active list of follow up and action items on behalf of supervisor
- Maintains financial and expense report records
- Edits and completes first drafts for written communications
- Contributes to the website and the intranet
- Schedules continuing education, CPR courses and other trainings for dental staff
- Opens & screens mail, faxes and internal/external communications
- Assists in collecting credentialing documents for Human Resources
- Plans and coordinates provider events, retreats, and meetings
- Prepares provider specific internal communications
- Operates office equipment and maintains office inventory, records and supplies.
- Makes travel arrangements including airline, and hotel reservations
- Assists with special projects as needed
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exercises sound problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Quick and efficient learner
- Demonstrates emotional maturity
- Able to teach self, autocorrect and use available resources independently
- Independently assess and resolve complex day to day situations
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently
- Keyboarding and computer skills, such as word processing, e-mail, Internet, desktop publishing, spreadsheets, data base management and software applications as required by department
- Must demonstrate flexibility, while maintaining sense of urgency
- Ability to gather and organize information, to compose letters, memoranda and correspondence requiring independent judgment and prioritization
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
- Must possess problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Exercises sound judgement and maintains confidentiality
- Enjoys the challenges of supporting a busy CDO, clinic staff and a diverse patient population