The Petaluma Health Center’s mission is to provide high quality health care, with access for all, in Southern Sonoma County. The Center accomplishes this mission through collaborative, innovative programs, services and referral resources that meet the economic needs of the entire community.
The Petaluma Health Center is an eight-time award winner in the North Bay Business Journal’s Best Places to Work for 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2009 and we were named as one of '2015 Healthiest Companies in the North Bay' by the North Bay Business Journal.
We are a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that provides primary medical care and mental health services to residents of Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Cotati, Penngrove and surrounding areas. We are organized as a private, non-profit corporation and governed by a consumer and community led Board of Directors.
For more information about us, please visit us at www.phealthcenter.org.
Position Title: Senior Accountant
Summary: Under the direction of the Director of Finance, this position assists in various activities surrounding the preparation of financial statements and supporting documents, and oversees review of accounting system inputs/outputs for accuracy and reasonableness. The Senior Accountant will perform daily operational accounting tasks, expense management and compliance, and will play an important role in the monthly, and year-end close processes, including preparation of journal entries and reconciliation of various sub-ledgers. The Senior Accountant assists with various projects including annual audit and UDS and OSHPD reporting, and provides financial and technical expertise to support daily operations and recommends improvements to department processes. The Senior Accountant assists the Senior Reimbursement Analyst with operational accounting tasks regarding revenue management, including preparation of journal entries and reconciliation of various sub-ledgers.
The Senior Accountant gathers, processes, and summarizes complex financial information to provide support to the organization's fiscal functions and applies accounting reporting requirements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles related to the goals of the health center. This position has the opportunity to contribute to the creation of a robust and scalable infrastructure as well as assisting with implementation and on-going maintenance of internal control compliance.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Participate in month-end close (assigned accruals, assigned reconciliations, analysis of accounts, etc.) that conform to GAAP in a timely and accurate manner. Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare general ledger journal entries, including payroll, vendor accruals, fixed asset depreciation, vacation accruals, and other assigned accounts
- Perform monthly bank account reconciliations and prepare journal entries as required to balance the general ledger and associated accounting entities to the reconciled bank balances
- Prepare monthly reconciliations relating to cash, prepaid expenses, accrued liabilities, fixed assets, and other assigned accounts
- Assist with preparation of financial statements and departmental performance reports
- Prepare monthly direct Cash Flow Statement
- Maintain the general ledger chart of accounts and assign new account codes as required, and ensure new accounts are added to financial reporting structures
- Assist with the preparation of internal and external schedules to facilitate annual audits, cost reports, OSHPD and UDS reporting, and 990 filings
- Maintain fixed asset sub-ledgers, post depreciation, and reconcile to general ledger
- Assist the Reimbursement Analyst in the revenue cycle. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Preparation of Medicare Cost Report and Medi-Cal PPS Reconciliations
- Review rate calculations for accuracy and maximization of revenue
- Assist with third party reimbursement audits of assigned facilities. Review and respond to proposed audit adjustments
- Reconciles assigned reimbursement settlement accounts
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget for patient revenue and contractual adjustments
- Prepare quarterly provider bonus and monthly call and hospital pay worksheets for inclusion in provider payroll
- Perform compliance testing against company invoicing and reimbursement policies, and educate/escalate as needed
- Manage independent contractor and contract database
- Develop recommendations for increased efficiencies and participate in process improvement and system implementation projects
- Assist in the development, implementation, adherence, and ongoing maintenance of internal policies, procedures, and controls
- Perform financial analyses, special projects, and develop ad-hoc reports to cross-functional departments and management as requested