The Petaluma Health Center’s mission is to provide high quality health care, with access for all, in Southern Sonoma County. The Center accomplishes this mission through collaborative, innovative programs, services and referral resources that meet the economic needs of the entire community.
The Petaluma Health Center is an eight-time award winner in the North Bay Business Journal’s Best Places to Work for 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2009 and we were named as one of '2015 Healthiest Companies in the North Bay' by the North Bay Business Journal.
We are a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that provides primary medical care and mental health services to residents of Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Cotati, Penngrove and surrounding areas. We are organized as a private, non-profit corporation and governed by a consumer and community led Board of Directors.
For more information about us, please visit us at www.phealthcenter.org.
Position Title: Human Resources Director
Summary: The Human Resources Director is directly responsible for development, management and execution of the Petaluma Health Center’s (PHC) Human Resource operations. He/she will work directly with Petaluma Health Center management to formulate, recommend, train and ensure successful employee relations and effective management of HR programs and objectives. This position is accountable for operational effectiveness and compliance and in all functional areas of Human Resource management, including but not limited to: HR systems and technology applications, compensation and benefits administration, employee relations and engagement, employee health and safety, workforce planning and recruitment, employee training and development and HR policy Implementation. The HR Director manages and supervises the HR team creating a customer focused HR culture which will maximize organizational impact and efficiency. This includes developing the ideal HR department with optimal staffing structure and roles, while providing mentoring and guidance to team members to ensure the skills and competencies are available to meet the needs of the organization.
Areas of Responsibility:
Development of the Human Resources Department
- Oversees the implementation of Human Resources programs through Human Resources staff. Identifies opportunities for improvement and resolves problems
- Develops and monitors an annual budget that includes Human Resources services, employee recognition, and benefits administration
- Manages Human Resources consultants, attorneys, and training specialists, and coordinates company use of insurance brokers, insurance carriers, 401K administrators, and other outside sources
- Establishes HR departmental measurements that support the accomplishment of the department’s and organization's strategic goals
- Manages the preparation and maintenance of such reports as are necessary to carry out the functions and compliance of the department. Prepares regular reports for management, as necessary or requested, to track risk management and goal accomplishment
Human Resource Systems and Technology Applications:
- Ensures all HR information systems (HRIS, performance management, applicant tracking, learning, credentialing, HR ticketing and integration with payroll) function at full levels to support all employment and compliance needs
- Provides PHC with an orderly, accurate, current, and legal compliant personnel record keeping system, including records concerning employment, including promotions, transfers, and terminations. Direct oversight and administration of performance management systems.
- Oversee operation of HR ticketing system to manage and ensure proper HR responsiveness and work flows
Compensation and Benefits Administration:
- Responsible for overall benefits and compensation planning, communication and administration
- Analyzes and interprets compensation data in order to make recommendations for compensation planning and ensuring strategies are in line with compensation philosophy
- Recommends and coordinates compensation adjustments with managers and payroll
- Provides support to managers and employees with regard to employee relations issues
- Facilitates and manages the resolution of employee grievances and claims
- Advises and counsels management of HR policies and areas of risk
- Ensures all HR policies and procedures are documented and communicated to the workforce including maintaining the Employee Handbook
Employee Health and Safety:
- Promotes employee health programs through active participation in risk management/safety and infection control committees
- Responsible for health center safety including compliance with safety rules and regulations, remedying unsafe working conditions, and for continuously practicing safety while performing duties to avoid accidents, exposure to illness, and to ensure patient safety
Recruitment, Retention and Staffing:
- Establishes and implements policies, procedures, and plans for recruitment, selection, and hiring
- Develops staffing plans and structures to support PHC initiatives
- Designs or supports in the development of recruitment materials
- Provides timely support to supervisors/management in employee recruiting and selection processes
- Oversees new employee orientation and on-boarding programs
- Oversees programs for testing and selection of personnel; ensures compliance with EEO regulations and internal affirmative action
- Maintains records and monitors employee turnover; conducts exit interviews; may conduct study on reasons for turnover and present retention strategies or improve selection procedures
- Oversees credentialing and privileging process for certified, registered and licensed clinical staff in conjunction with the Chief Medical Officer, CAO, and CEO
Employee Training and Development
- Develops and maintains overall responsibility for assessing, providing and tracking standardized organization-wide employee training and development. This includes developing the annual Training and Development plan in collaboration with other organization-wide responsible partners (Compliance, Clinical, IT, etc).
- Develops policies and processes to ensure staff competencies are assessed at hire, and assessed and developed throughout the employee lifecycle (includes quarterly observed assessments and annual evaluations)
HR Operations and Policy Implementation:
- Promotes and supports PHC’s mission, vision, and values
- Partners with management in the development and implementation of HR programs to ensure the alignment with key business goals and overall organization strategies, including ensuring the Center is meeting and/or exceeding accreditation and HRSA goals/requirements
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with the National Health Service Corps regulations, and overseeing, monitoring, and optimizing staff participation in the National Health Service Corps Loan Assistance Repayment programs
- Provides accurate and practical counsel to management regarding compliance with all federal and state laws dealing with employee/employer regulations
- Ensure appropriate and compliant processing of employee leaves of absence and Workers’ Compensation claims
- Works with the CAO on malpractice compliance, corporate compliance, and with the Finance Department on the oversight of payroll administration, 401K and compliance
- Provides compliance guidance on volunteers and other status resources
- Direct supervision of direct reports in accordance with PHC policy and applicable Federal, State and Local laws
- Provides day-to-day guidance to subordinates and identifies problem areas and takes appropriate corrective action
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring, developing and promoting HR positions
- Manages work performance, rewards and disciplinary action, as needed
- Manages and supervises an HR team to create a customer focused HR culture and to maximize organizational impact and efficiency, including developing the ideal HR department, staffing structure and roles, while providing mentoring and guidance to team members and ensuring the skills and competencies are available to meet the needs of the organization