The Petaluma Health Center’s mission is to provide high quality health care, with access for all, in Southern Sonoma County. The Center accomplishes this mission through collaborative, innovative programs, services and referral resources that meet the economic needs of the entire community.
The Petaluma Health Center is a eight-time award winner in the North Bay Business Journal’s Best Places to Work for 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2009 and we were named as one of '2015 Healthiest Companies in the North Bay' by the North Bay Business Journal.
We are a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that provides primary medical care and mental health services to residents of Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Cotati, Penngrove and surrounding areas. We are organized as a private, non-profit corporation and governed by a consumer and community led Board of Directors.
For more information about us, please visit us at www.phealthcenter.org.
Position Title: Medical Assistant I
Summary: The Medical Assistant I assists practitioners in the preparation and treatment of patients under the supervision of a licensed physician.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Functions independently in the role of Medical Assistant on the team
- Build relationships with patients, staff and providers to ensure excellent customer service
- Communicates with providers, other staff and patients to promote optimum clinic flow
- Follows PHC policies and procedures in accordance with the Medical Assistant position
- Rooms patients, takes and documents vital signs including height, weight, BMI Temperature, respirations and blood pressure
- Collects and documents patient history
- Performs routine screening procedures, such as hearing and vision test and document findings
- Performs various medical assistant procedures, including but not limited to: finger sticks for hemoglobin checks; ear washes; nebulizer treatments; urine dipsticks; specimen collection for throat and/or urine cultures; wound cleaning; PPD placement; INR; glucose; HCG; and Hemoglobin A1C
- Administers immunizations and documents in ECW & CAIR
- Ensures that all logs, forms, records and charts are complete, thorough and accurate
- Documents freezer & refrigerator temperature
- Prepares treatment rooms, equipment and supplies in a timely manner to ensure optimum flow
- Provides patient education and follow-up care instructions
- Performs panel management and non-visit tasks as assigned by Provider or Nurse
- Practices standard safety precautions to ensure safety to self, other staff and patients, including handling of contained waste and sharps, and cleaning the Ultrasound machine & EKG machine
- Recommends improvement in processes and practices through the proper channels
- Takes accurate messages and responds in a timely manner
- Supports the Flow Coordinator
- Provides basic Medical Assistant services to obstetric patients
- Communicates to Team Manager any urgent issues that arise